If your block is flood affected and/or bushfire prone doesn’t mean you cannot build a granny flat necessarily but it may require further examination. This typically means a BAL (Bushfire Attack Level) report must be carried out to ensure the BAL rating is BAL 29 or less while a flood report will need to be carried out to ensure the granny flat complies with 3.36c of the AHSEPP.

Both these reports can be carried out by our granny flat specialists on your behalf if you don’t have one already.

Bushfire prone land

The section 149 certificate for your land will indicate if it is bushfire prone or not. As a rule of thumb if your block is adjoining or close to bush land then it is likely to be bushfire affected to some degree.

Depending on the BAL rating will depend on the materials and construction methods needed to be used on your granny flat. This will have a cost consequence depending on how high a rating the BAL report comes back with.

Flood prone land

The section 149 part 2 certificate will indicate if a land is flood affected or not. Numerous flooding categories and levels of severity will affect how minor or significant the flooding actually is.

Depending on the category\severity will determine if your proposed granny flat will be approved. Many times the data required to make a determination is held with council and for a fee accessed and reviewed. Many times council does not have such data and a suitably qualified hydraulics engineer will have to be engaged to prepare a flood study report.

These reports are typically very expensive and can cost upwards for $3,000 dollars to carry out. If there is information accessible without the need of a report a Flood Certificate will be required at an extra charge starting at around $800.

Again, our granny flat specialists can assist you with taking you through the steps in helping determine if your flood affected block is still applicable for a granny flat.


The next section is Granny Flats – Building near sewer pipes