The easiest way to find out is to contact our office and ask to speak with one of our Granny Flat Specialists and ask about our free site visit. However if your wanting to get some more information about what are the key rules so you can determine for yourself this guide should act as a good starting point.

It’s important to note that the following guide assumes you are wanting to approve a granny flat under Complying Development (or CDC) for short i.e. approved through the State Environmental Planning Policy (Affordable Rental Housing) 2009 (or AHSEPP) for short.

It’s important to note that as is the case for standard houses, the BUILDING CODE OF AUSTRALIA (BCA) still applies to all granny flats to be built irrespective if it approved under CDC. This simply means it’s built to code not short cuts.

Before we get into the nitty gritty of the rules and regulations let’s start off with some basics like what’s a granny flat? What’s AHSEPP all about or what’s this CDC thing? For those who know already or just want to get right into it, skip down below to the next link.

What is a granny flat?

A granny flat, or secondary dwelling, is self-contained accommodation within, attached or separate to an individual home.

Does it have to be in the back?

A granny flat may be within, attached to, or separate from the principal dwelling.

How do I approve a granny flat?

A “private certifying authority” (or PCA) for short or commonly referred to as a “private certifier” can assess and approve your granny flat design\application.

Is it easy to approve?

A granny flat may be approved within 20 days but remember this doesn’t include the time it will take for design work, e.g. architects, surveyors etc.

What if my neighbours complain?

The short answer is Yes, but unless your neighbours identify why it shouldn’t have been approved through the AHSEPP i.e. identify an error in the certifiers review there is little neighbours can do to stop your application.

The certifying authority is required to notify neighbours of an application 14 days prior to approval and once the Complying Development Certificate has been issued the owner will need to notify neighbours 7 days prior to any work commencing.

Do I need to go through council?

No, a development application is not required so long as the application\granny flat meets specific requirements as outlined in the AHSEPP.

To find out some of the key specific requirements, click on Granny Flats – General Information