Thinking of building a granny flat? 10 most commonly asked questions answered
Thinking of building a Granny Flat on your block? Lets answer the 10 most commonly asked questions.
1. How big does my block have to be?
In NSW, blocks need to be at least 450sqm with a 12 lineal metre frontage.
2. What’s the largest granny flat I can build?
The maximum size is 60 square metres. This is excluding any attachments to the granny flat such as carports, veranda’s, outbuildings, garages etc.
3. Can I attach a garage to the granny flat?
Yes, you can attach a single or a double garage to the granny flat, provided you have room on your block.
4. Does the granny flat have to have a fence around it, dividing it from the main house?
No, a fence dividing the granny flat and the main dwelling is not required if you intend to have the family occupy the granny flat. However it is desired if you are planning on renting the granny flat on the private market.
5. Is there a cost difference between a ONE bedroom and TWO bedroom granny flat?
Depending on the size of the granny flat, there may be a slight cost saving in construction if you opt to build a one bedroom. Click HERE for more information on whether you should build a one or two bedroom Granny Flat.
6. How long does it take to build a granny flat?
The construction usually takes 16 weeks.
7. How long does it take to get approval of the granny flat?
Provided you go through the fast track approval process (complying development approval), it can take 6 – 8 weeks.
8. What does it cost to build a granny flat and does that include everything?
Our starting price is $110,000 including design and approval. This is typically for a standard 60sqm, two bedroom design.
9. If I want to design my own granny flat, will you be able to build it?
Yes! At RESCON, we can build to your plans or even customise one of our designs to suit your needs.
10. Do I have to do anything to get my Granny Flat approved?
No. We take care of everything for you from design and approval through to construction. Give us a call to get started.
Do you have any other questions? Give us a call on 1300 109 312 and one of our friendly team members can help you out.